Thursday, July 2, 2009

Chinese

I'll admit it, I'm a bit of a crier. Babies make me cry. Certain movies, a beautiful song, a poignant childhood memory. I will always remember where I was when I first heard the Langley School Project. I was driving in my truck to work and NPR was doing a Saturday morning piece on the album, its genesis and recent discovery and release on Nonesuch Records label. The moment I heard that children's choir sing "God Only Knows" (already a tear-jerker of a song for me), I started heaving with uncontrollable man sobs. And the more I learned about the kids in this story, how they lived in rural, semi-isolated region of British Columbia, how the music teacher that had pulled the whole project together with kids from varying schools and grades, borrowed instruments and recording gear...it just slayed me.

I saw this video today and while it only primed my water works a little bit, I must say this is one of the most sublime choral arrangements I've ever heard for a pop song. The kids in this story seem like they are happy, well adjusted, confident and (justifiably) pleased with themselves. I guess what chokes me up about this is mostly the innate beauty and innocence of this performance. "Chinese" by Lily Allen, while a great song, seems a bit odd choice for such a pastoral arrangement. It works though. Beautifully so.

Anyway, here it is. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment